Sunday, January 24, 2010

Self Introduction!

"Blogging gives more space fore self-expression..."
so I thought it'll be appropriate to start off with a little more About Me!

I'm a Life Science (biomed) year 3, graduating this semester provided my SEP credits transfers go through smoothly. I went to NTNU in Trondheim, Norway and yeah, it was a (damn) beautiful place. And expensive too.

My family moved from Hong Kong when I was 5. Apparently afraid of 1997, I was told. But since I grew up here and had taken my citizenship oath, I try to be Singaporean in every aspect I can (other than the "Place of Birth"...sorry can't change that). So usually, I'll only introduce myself as a Singaporean and not mention HK, until some point in the conversation I feel I had to explain my...backgrounds.

I think I always had an identity conflict. I speak Cantonese at home; I watch HK and Taiwan channels on Starhub instead of Mediacorp; I listen to HK radio streams online rather than Mediacorp; I read Appledaily(蘋果日報) instead of SPH-published newspapers...yet I tell you I'm Singaporean. Please don't hate me yet because I do love this little red dot on the map. I spent many nights during SEP thinking of returning home, where the weather is generally kind and where there's always good food.

Like any other kid who had been forced to interest classes, I can play the piano and flute. Still do so once in  a while with my school's alumni band. Not that much of a sports person, though. But I enjoy watching soccer! I'm a Red Devil and it sucks to see a £715 million and climbing debt. (Those Glazers geezers..*@#$^!&@#$*) Oh! And I'm so so so so anticipating Schumacher's return to F1!!!

Okay I think that's quite enough for a little self intro. Haha! Nice to know everyone and I hope it'll be a great semester with each and every single one of you. Lastly, please feel free to add me on fb! My full name (Chan Hoi Yee), no spaces in between, at nus dot edu dot sg!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the detailed intro. I'm pleased to know more about you.

    Now I know where you studied abroad: Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Iris

    As your peer teaching group member how can i not post something on your blog hahaha.

    Anyway so glad to know more about you through this post. Anyway you and I have something in common and that is we don't watch mediacorp. Since my family speaks mostly chinese and cantonese at home we hardly watch channel 5. The chinese programmes on mediacorp doesn't appeal to me at all. So I'm more into TVBJ and VV drama. I think Hong Kong Drama is way nicer than Singaporean drama. Might be because the script here sux. Anyway I identify myself more to the HK media thou I've never been there.

    Oh yes another point. Don't you just hate it when Singapore do not show movies made in Hong Kong in cantonese? They should make it Dual sound so we have the option to choose. Sometimes the dubbing is done in Taiwan and the meaning is totally lost. So much for trying to achieve media freedom by our government... All talk no action...

    Enough of my ranting I guess but maybe next time we can talk about the shows we watch on TV.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brad. Norway is such a nice place and I miss it so much. Life's peaceful, quiet and slow-paced...nothing like the constant rush here everyday =(

    See Chai: Thanks. So now I know you're a "Chinese-based" person too! (LOL) My opinion on local tv series is that even with a good storyline, the scriptwriter comes up with weird lines that don't sound natural AT ALL. The backdrop and props always look too fake.
    As far as I can remember, I haven't seen a HK movie in cinema. Exactly because it is not shown in original soundtrack! But I guess I cannot really complain about such language policies so I'll just suck it up and accept it.

    ReplyDelete